These are awful. Nobody will tell him how bad they are, because we are all afraid of him. You don't want to see him angry.
- Better than Well: American Medicine Meets the American Dream, Norton, 2003.
- A Philosophical Disease: Bioethics, Culture and Identity, Routledge, 1999.
- The Rules of Insanity: Moral Responsibility and the Mentally Ill Offender, State University of New York Press, 1996.
- Prozac as a Way of Life (editor, with Tod Chambers), University of North Carolina Press, 2004.
- The Last Physician: Walker Percy and the Moral Life of Medicine, (editor, with John Lantos), Duke University Press, 1999.
- Slow Cures and Bad Philosophers: Essays on Wittgenstein, Medicine and Bioethics, (editor), Duke University Press, 2003.